If your public agency has less than 100 “plan members,” you are eligible for an approved alternative measurement method to comply with GASB Statement No. 45. A “plan member” is defined as:
- An employee in active service, including employees who have already satisfied the age and/or service requirements to retire with employer-paid benefits, as well as those who have not yet done so, but will do so at some point in the future if their employment continues in its present status
- Terminated employees who have earned the right to future employer-paid benefits, but are not yet receiving them (rare)
- Retired employees and surviving spouses currently receiving benefits. (Covered dependents of living retirees do not count towards the 100 member threshold)
For public agencies that meet this criteria, we have designed a unique process that allows you to enter data online and receive a simplified actuarial valuation from Demsey, Filliger & Associates, LLC, one of our respected and qualified actuaries.
Demsey, Filliger & Associates, LLC was formed by long-time colleagues and actuaries Brian R. Demsey and T. Louis Filliger, FSA, and is dedicated to providing designer actuarial and related services to a broad range of clients, with an emphasis on public sector retiree healthcare and pension valuations. They provide tailor-made actuarial services at a competitive price, backed by the experience, focus, and drive to solve the most complex benefits problems.
By teaming up with Demsey, Filliger & Associates, LLC, we are able to provide this alternative method for a flat fee of $1,500.
How it works
- Login to GASB 45 AMM
- Accept Alternative Method fee
- Enter general information
- Enter monthly premiums and caps
- Enter data on each individual plan member or e-mail spreadsheet
- Submit data
It’s that easy! Once your data has been submitted, it will be used as input to a proprietary software that automatically generates an actuarial valuation and report in compliance with GASB 43 & 45, reviewed by a CSBA staff member for completeness, and sent to Demsey Filliger & Associates, LLC for a final actuarial review. Once the report is approved and reviewed by a qualified actuary, it will be mailed to you within 10-15 business days.