Position Title: Staff Attorney
Position ID: KB-001
Salary: $78,516-$94,921 annually depending on experience
Closing Date: May 31, 2013; 12:00 AMDownloads:
The California School Boards Association seeks a highly qualified Staff Attorney to work with the General Counsel and Associate General Counsel to provide professional legal services, assistance and advice to association stakeholders.
The California School Boards Association is a membership organization representing California school districts and county boards of education. CSBA provides training and information to board members and superintendents, advocates in the legislature and the courts on behalf of K-12 education, and provides direct services to districts, and county offices of education.
- Works with General Counsel to staff the Education Legal Alliance (“ELA”).
- Conducts legal research and prepares legal opinions, amicus briefs, and amicus letters of support.
- Develops updates of ELA activities.
- Conducts outreach for CSBA programs and ELA activities including drafting email blasts and articles for the CSBA newsletter.
- Prepares summaries of key court decisions and litigation reports for ELA committees and senior staff.
- Works collaboratively with outside legal counsel on CSBA and ELA litigation matters.
- Works closely with CSBA members and staff to provide guidance and written responses to inquiries.
- Assists with preparation of legal documents and prepares, reviews and revises contracts.
- Represents the legal department at CSBA governance meetings, workshops and conferences and in meetings with CSBA members, other elected officials, regulatory agencies, and education-related entities.
- Develops, drafts and reviews sample education policies and administrative regulations for CSBA publications.
- Works with General Counsel to advise CSBA management and governing bodies on non-profit corporation issues including employment, tax and corporation law.
Experience, Knowledge, and Abilities
- Principles, practices, and trends in public, elementary, secondary, and post secondary education, preferably.
- Sources of information related to a broad range of education policy and programs.
- Legal principles and procedures, including civil and administrative laws and procedures.
- Federal, State, and local trial and appeal procedures and methods of case preparation and presentation.
- Techniques for providing a high level of customer service by effectively dealing with the public, vendors, contractors, and Association staff.
- Present legal information and advice clearly and concisely.
- Write clearly and persuasively.
- Determine alternative legal and administrative approaches to solving problems.
- Interpret, apply, explain, and ensure compliance with Federal, State, and local policies, procedures, laws and regulations.
- Organize and prioritize a variety of projects and multiple tasks in an effective and timely manner.
- Establish, maintain, and foster positive and effective working relationships with those contacted in the course of work.
- Juris Doctorate from an accredited school of law.
- Licensed to practice law and member of the California State Bar.
- One to three years of legal experience.
- One to two years of education law experience preferred.
- One to two years of litigation experience preferred.
Special Conditions of Employment
This is an exempt position. Applicants must possess a valid California driver’s license, proof of insurance and reliable transportation for use on Association business.
Cover letters, resumes and applications should be submitted in Word or PDF format as an attachment and emailed to email@example.com. The application may be scanned and included with your submission. Please include the Job Title "Staff Attorney" and Job ID "KB-001" in the subject line of your email. Please indicate your salary requirements and salary history in your cover letter. Your application packet may also be faxed with a cover page to the attention of Human Resources at (916) 371-3407, or mailed to California School Boards Association ATTN: Human Resources 3251 Beacon Blvd, West Sacramento, CA 95691. EOE